Bernstorff Palace was designed by the French architect, Nicolas-Henri Jardin. He had been brought to Denmark to complete the Marble Church in Copenhagen after the death of Eigtved.
The palace is a beautiful example of the neoclassical style. When it was completed in 1765 it was yellow-washed and had blue-black tiles. At the time, the single-winged building had two floors, four small decorative garrets, attics with decorative vases and a wide balcony on the roof ridge itself. A dome-covered projection runs through all floors on the side facing the garden.
The many rooms were modest in size and were built for domestic purposes rather than representative ones. Most rooms are panelled. There are parquet floors, big mirrors and decorated ceilings.The four south-facing rooms have overdoors with views painted by J.E. Mandelberg while the overdoors in the dining room were probably not painted in Denmark.
A mezzanine was added when the palace was rebuilt in 1844 and the room division on the first floor were changed.
There are fireplaces of Norwegian marble, characteristic of the decorative style Jardin introduced, in the Garden Room, the Music Room and the Tea Room.A sign was mounted above the entrance bearing the inscription: "Honesto inter Labores otio sacrum." Translated: Reserved for honest rest during work.